Over the past few years, AvePoint has continued to grow a strong presence among the Gartner analyst community, more specifically within the annual Hype Cycle reports – with a total of seven mentions in 2016. But what are these documents and what do they mean to the IT industry? Below I’ll go through the purpose, value, and application of these research reports.
What are Analysts?
Before understanding a specific analyst document, you must understand the core function of analysts in the IT community. Analysts are highly experienced professionals in the technology field hired by research firms to serve as subject matter experts. These subject matter experts seek to learn about market trends, vendor solutions, and customer needs in order to provide insight and recommendations through research reports and speaking engagements. Analysts also provide insight to vendors on how to develop their products successfully, as well as to customers on what products fit their specific needs. Gartner is a US-based research organization that is one of the most reputable analyst firms worldwide.
What are Gartner Hype Cycles?
According to Gartner, Hype Cycles “provide a graphic representation of the maturity and adoption of technologies and applications, and how they are potentially relevant to solving real business problems and exploiting new opportunities.” These reports provide a high-level look into a market – where it is in its maturation cycle, the subcategories that may fall into or intersect with this market, and the vendors that play a role. For example, one Hype Cycle discusses the Legal and Regulatory Compliance market. Because this area involves more than just compliance, privacy tools is a subcategory. Privacy tools can help achieve compliance in these areas.
How do customers use Gartner Hype Cycles?
Gartner clients use Hype Cycles for education about the promise of an emerging technology within the context of their industry and individual appetite for risk. Considerations to keep in mind when using these reports include:
- Are you interested in early adoption?If you’re willing to combine risk taking with an understanding that risky investments don’t always pay off, you could reap the rewards of early adoption.
- Is a moderate approach appropriate?Executives who are more moderate understand the argument for an early investment but will also insist on a sound cost/benefit analysis when new ways of doing things are not yet fully proven.
- Should you wait?If there are too many unanswered questions around the commercial viability of an emerging technology, it may be better to wait until others have been able to deliver tangible value.
How can I access the Hype Cycles that AvePoint is mentioned in?
Gartner reports can be easily accessed through the Gartner research portal. If you are a member, you can use your login to access each document. However, non-members can pay a fee for individual documents. If you are interested in learning more about AvePoint’s mentions in Gartner research beyond the portal, please reach out to our experienced sales professionals. For access to each Gartner Hype Cycle with AvePoint mentions, please follow the links below.
- Cloud Security
- Data Security
- Information Infrastructure
- Legal and Regulatory Information Governance
- Risk Management Solutions
- Web Computing
If you have any questions about these Hype Cycles, Gartner, or analyst relations in general, please feel free leave a comment below.