In today’s workplace, almost every employee is now a content contributor with a wide variety of enterprise social platforms at their fingertips. This influx of new content, however, brings about new risks: Legal systems and government regulators worldwide are clamping down and demanding greater compliance, particularly within IT systems, making it essential that organizations quickly implement risk management protocols.
So how do we balance the business benefit of the free flow of information with the risk of inappropriate access and/or disclosure? Data aware security policies provide an opportunity for organizations to build a more layered approach to security, prioritizing where efforts (and costs) should be spent, and building multiple lines of defense. AvePoint Compliance Guardian delivers a solution to this challenge, enabling organizations to:
- Create enforceable data protection, privacy, and security policies
- Implement transparent and non-transparent controls to ensure that regulated content is classified, secured, and protected appropriately (scan, tag, classify, redact, encrypt, quarantine, move or restrict access)
- Prove policy compliance with ongoing monitoring, detailed reporting, and granular incident tracking
Compliance Guardian’s data discovery capabilities allow you to discover “dark data” where it lives in your environment, such as:
- File systems
- Web sites, systems, and applications
- Cloud environments
- Social systems like Yammer
Knowing what kind of risk lies within your IT systems is an important first step toward compliance. Any organization will want to know whether it is on the hook for millions of dollars in fines due to the type of information that is stored and how it is stored. Compliance Guardian helps you understand how your business users are managing sensitive data today so that you can properly remediate any issues and educate so that any mistakes are not made again.
While understanding just how much risk you have in your organization today is important, taking action based on that information is the critical next step. Once you know about the risk that lives within your IT systems, how do you mitigate it? Compliance Guardian allows you to take action by providing a comprehensive risk assessment solution, enabling you to:
- Drive enterprise classification and taxonomy across systems. This directly addresses the critical need for data classification among enterprises surveyed in a recent Forrester study. We’ve empowered business users with spell checking in most authoring systems, and we expect that communications sent for business purposes will not have spelling mistakes thanks to this function. Now, Compliance Guardian brings this powerful and simple concept to the world of data protection with user-assisted tagging and automated classification.
- Scan content based on out-of-the-box or customized compliance check files mapping to a wide range of requirements and legislation for privacy, information assurance, operational security, sensitive security information, and accessibility.
- Tag sensitive data with an embedded metatag within the document to indicate the sensitivity level of that content.
- Block, quarantine, redact, encrypt, protect, and move sensitive content to a protected location to ensure appropriate access.
Compliance Guardian empowers you to resolve, report, and improve on incident tracking and management across your organization. It provides the ability to conduct a detailed forensic analysis into data privacy, information security, and accessibility issues across your organization. Even further, it also allows you to assign and expect accountability for incident resolution, which is a key factor for improving compliance over time.
Wherever your employees are collaborating or storing their business data, Compliance Guardian enables your business to mitigate risk across those systems to support privacy, security, site quality, and accessibility compliance. To learn more and request a product demo today, please visit our product page.
For those at Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference 2014 this week, be sure to stop by and ask about Compliance Guardian at booth 725!