This Wednesday, January 28, marks Data Privacy Day (DPD) 2015, and AvePoint is once again an official Champion of this year’s event. An international effort centered on respecting privacy, safeguarding data, and enabling trust, DPD could not come at a better time. Though “privacy” was Dictionary.com’s word of the year for 2013, it was no less prescient throughout 2014, capping off with the Sony Pictures Entertainment hack that dominated headlines throughout the final weeks of the year.
The goals of DPD are to:
- Raise awareness and educate consumers to better understand how their personal information may be collected and the benefits and risks of sharing personal data
- Empower consumers to express their expectations for the use, protection, and management of their personal data
- Inspire consumers through concrete, simple, and actionable tips to more actively manage their online lives
- Encourage and motivate consumers to consider the privacy implications of their online actions for themselves and others
- Encourage businesses to be data stewards by being open and honest about how they collect, use, and share personal information and clearly communicating any available privacy and security controls
In addition to informing yourself as a consumer, DPD is a great day to bring data privacy into the conversation at your organization. With significant fines, loss of trust, and potentially irreversible reputational damage at stake, there is no better time than now to ensure you’re safeguarding your most sensitive information. With that in mind, we’ve compiled ten different resources and articles that will help you learn best practices around data privacy and compliance.
Compliance White Papers
The following white papers and reports not only offer best practices to help you build out effective Governance, Risk, and Compliance (GRC) and Data Loss Prevention (DLP) programs at your organization, but also share how our solutions can help you mitigate privacy, information security, and compliance risks across your information gateways:
- An Automated Strategy for Governance, Risk and Compliance and Data Loss Prevention: This white paper aids reviews best practices and available solutions from AvePoint for developing and implementing a comprehensive approach for GRC and DLP by stating how an organization will achieve compliance, doing it with enforceable actions, and proving policy conformance.
- Hypatia Research Vendor Product Matrix: Best Practices & Vendor Selection Criteria for Enterprise Governance, Risk & Compliance Practitioners: In this report, AvePoint was evaluated against 26 other Governance, Risk & Compliance vendors. AvePoint Compliance Guardian scored in the top 3 for the categories of Internal Audit, KPI Assessment, and Risk Exposure Analysis.
Data Privacy Articles
Coinciding with the prominence of data privacy-related stories throughout 2014, I worked with a wide variety of publications to share tips, lessons learned, and observations. Below are eight different articles that offer something for everyone – whether you’re a healthcare organization looking to implement the right security technology, a business planning its compliance program for 2015, or a consumer hoping to better understand the importance of privacy policies:
- The Art of Leveraging Governance, Risk & Compliance Technology Tools
- Dark Data as a Company Asset
- Have Today’s Privacy Policies Made Us a Society of Liars
- How to Implement Your GRC Technology
- Keeping Your Data Secure
- Make Sure your HIT Security System Meets these 6 Criteria to Avoid Medical Identify Theft
- The One Compliance Lesson You Need to Learn
- The Shocking Truth Behind Privacy Policies in the Enterprise
To find out how AvePoint is going beyond encouraging businesses to better steward their data and giving them the tools to put an effective program in place, please visit our Compliance Guardian product page and be sure to sign up for a free personalized demo today.
Check back this Wednesday for more on data privacy, including free tools designed to help both businesses and consumers alike.